All Things Are Possible!
Rightfully so, my sixth graders have earned some major bragging points by leading with their "Big Dream".
After months of writing, dreaming, and raising money, Pod C finally welcomed Maria Reyes to stage on March 12, 2009. As one of the original Freedom Writers from Erin Gruwell’s class, Maria learned to lay down her life of gang violence and instead pick up the powerful pen. Through journal writing and the amazing encouragement of her teacher, Maria found her voice and is now using it to inspire adolescents and teachers around the country. After her riveting presentation, each student tucked away a different meaningful part of her message. Marina Langlois, a 6th grader at Mona Shores shared, “I was inspired. She showed me that there is still hate in the world and that if I want it to go away, I would have to do something about it.” Another 6th grade student, Samantha Pyman, stated, “Maria Reyes impacted me by telling me to write my experiences down on paper. Now, ever since she said that one phrase, I started to write in my journal again.” 6th grader, Glenn Wilks, absorbed a simple but profound message, “I learned that there is good in everyone.”
Maria Reyes’ message is important for both staff and students, we all belong, not because of race, social economic status, or gang affiliation; we belong because we are all human.
Again, I ask, if you have not yet seen Freedom Writers, please do! Maria Reyes is profiled as “Eva”. Ms. Reyes was an incredible speaker and graciously signed all 100 of my students’ books, The Freedom Writers Diary.
Also, many of the middle school students bought the Freedom Writers Diary, thus earning an additional $2,000 to fund an outreach program to help disadvantage kids. The students took their dream and extended it far beyond the students at Mona Shores Middle School by providing resources to make the dreams of other students possible, other students they will never meet.
The lessons that hit home for me are, give your students a voice and an opportunity to “Dream Big”, and I also learned that there is nothing more important than a second chance. We all need one more chance and no one deserves chances more than students.
Dream On!
Maria Reyes
Also, many of the middle school students bought the Freedom Writers Diary, thus earning an additional $2,000 to fund an outreach program to help disadvantage kids. The students took their dream and extended it far beyond the students at Mona Shores Middle School by providing resources to make the dreams of other students possible, other students they will never meet.
The lessons that hit home for me are, give your students a voice and an opportunity to “Dream Big”, and I also learned that there is nothing more important than a second chance. We all need one more chance and no one deserves chances more than students.
Dream On!
Maria Reyes

0 comments:
Post a Comment